Sensitise and alert
The Jérôme Lejeune Foundation is the spokesperson for persons with intellectual disabilities with citizens, the media and public authorities. A serious undertaking: making it known is an obligation!
Prof Lejeune tirelessly went throughout the world, not only to share the discovery of the causes of Down syndrome, but also to bring a message of life and hope everywhere that the debate on the respect for human dignity was newly at stake.
The Jérôme Lejeune Foundation pursues this work of increasing awareness and alerting consciences. This action is based on the following:
- Awareness-raising campaigns for the “general public”;
- national and international petitions in support of life;
- targeted interventions with national and European public authorities, with respect to legislative and regulatory reforms.
THE TRUTH on the interest in the human embryo:
- It is included in the reports of the Academy of Sciences and the National Assembly.
- In fact, what is at stake, is really the fact of making available an industry of embryonic stem cell lines that can be used in toxicology and pharmacology to replace animal tests in developing medicines.
- So, why the human embryo? Because recourse to primate embryos, which would allow most of the experiments, has a major inconvenience: its cost (the cost or raising the primates), but even more so because it confronts well organised opposition everywhere.
- These reports curiously do not provide the exact number of surplus embryos which exist and the inventory of which is predicted to grow so that they will be appropriated advantageously by public or private laboratories.
Meet Professor Jérôme Lejeune: "Why are you against medical abortion?"
Professor Jérôme Lejeune
Extracts from the “Duel on Channel Cinq” broadcast, 1988.